Land Surveyors are commonly asked may questions on our services and operations. Below are the answers to some of our FAQ’s. If you need an answer to a question that is not below, please contact us here.


What does a land surveyor and town planner do?

As land surveyors, we conduct boundary surveys to determine exact property lines and borders of the land in question. We assess the spatial layout of the site and focus on creating of re-establishment surveys, feature surveys and sub-division surveys. The surveying process also determines whether there are easements and encroachments on the land. We also look out for any other ‘roadblocks’ as well as the requirements of the land. By doing a survey, this can help resolve or avoid disputes about land and boundary lines and assists the proper placement of fences and other structural items.

We are experienced and knowledgeable in town planning. We plan and design the subdivision of the plot and support the entire development process. From subdivision plans and land surveying, our services range up to managing road creation, utilities and landscaping new estates.

Do I need a land surveyor?

Are you doing any of the following?

  • Buying a new home and want to cover yourself from future legal disputes
  • Applying for a building permit
  • Want to know the exact boundaries of your land
  • Want to ensure you are erecting a fence in the correct area / on your property
  • Planning a subdivision of your land

If you are doing any of the above jobs, then yes! Give us a call today.

Can I do my own land survey on my property? 

In Victoria, the law states that property boundary surveys need to be conducted or at least supervised by a practising licensed surveyor. Any survey performed by unlicensed practitioners can compromise the development of the land or property. Unlicensed surveys have no legal standing.

What’s the difference between a Land Surveyor and a Building Surveyor?

Land Surveyors focus on the spatial layout of the site – we look at the land and space you have to work with. We provide accurate details of boundaries, easements and other things that may affect your build on this land.

A Building Surveyor deals with the legal side of everything. They ensure all permits and approvals are in place before building begins.

We will work closely with your building supervisor ensuring your project runs on track and as efficiently as possible.

I have a large block of land I’m thinking about sub-dividing, where do I start?

Firstly, check your original land contracts and the block or lot title to confirm whether the land is allowed to be subdivided. If you can’t find these documents, speak to a local title company or let us know and we can look into this for you. Consider the number of plots you would like to have on the land. The larger the subdivision, the more complex it will become. However, speaking to Reddie Surveys or another experienced town planner will help you discover the possibilities and complexities of land subdivisions. We can walk you through the entire process.

We specialise in designing the subdivision, surveying the property, submitting applications to the relevant authorities and everything in between. Give us a call to set up an initial, obligation free meeting today about your subdivision plans. The process of subdividing your land can be complex, however, M.J. Reddie Surveys will help you through every step of the way.


How large is your team?

We currently have 2 fully licensed land surveyors, a survey assistant and a draftsman on our team. Together, our experience, knowledge and passion come as one. This has built us as experts in all elements of land development and town planning.

How much experience do you have land surveying?

Owner and Manager of Reddie Surveys, Michael Reddie, has been a licensed land surveyor since 1977. Other Reddie Surveys team members have years of experience in the field and have appropriate qualifications and training. M.J. Reddie Surveys has been land surveying for over 35 years, therefore are well experienced.

How far do you travel?

Our land surveyors can survey all over Victoria and are happy to travel to get to you. We have offices based in Berwick, Beaconsfield and Inverloch, however we move across the state to meet and service our customers.

Some of the areas that we have previously surveyed or assisted with town planning are:
Melbourne’s South East including Beaconsfield, Berwick, Narre Warren, Dandenong, Hallam, Pakenham, Cardinia, Officer, Bunyip, Lynbrook, Clyde and Cranbourne.
Gippsland including Warragul, Traralgon, Morwell, Churchill and Mirboo North.
South Gippsland including Wonthaggi, Sandy Point, Port Franklin, Kilcunda, Inverloch, Grantville, Korumburra, Leongatha and Tarwin.
Phillip Island including Cowes, Rhyll, Silverleaves, Ventnor, Summerlands, Smiths Beach, Newhaven  and Wimbledon heights.

What are your fees?

Our fees depend on each project as well as the size, geographical location and the age of the land. Give us a call and we’ll be more than happy to give you an accurate quote for your land.


What are the steps in subdivision?

There are 5 primary steps in subdivision. They are as follows:

  1. Obtain a copy of the title and plan diagram. Landata provides customers with these copies through their online system. You can also contact them for more information about your titles.
  2. Complete a land survey with a licensed surveyor. These land surveyors will liaise with council on your behalf.
  3. The council will receive the plan from the surveyor. This plan then goes through an application process to ensure all requirements are met.
  4. The approved survey and application is sent to a conveyancer or lawyer. They arrange the relevant documents for Land Victoria to lodge the application for registration of a plan of subdivision.
  5. Final approval takes place once Land Victoria is satisfied. Once all the requirements are met, the new plan is registered. A new certificate of Title is issued to relevant stakeholders and development can commence.

How long does subdividing land take?

This depends on the council and how long the application spends with them. It also depends on how long it takes to get all the documents accurately verified. This generally takes between 3-6 months before building can be approved and begin.

How do I know if I can subdivide my land?

Whether or not you can subdivide your land depends on:

  • The size of your property
  • Town planning
  • Neighbourhood precedent
  • If it’s possible to build on the land
  • The land’s agricultural significance
  • Existing buildings that cannot be removed

You can also read more about whether your land is suitable for subdivision on our site to understand the conditions for subdivision in more detail.


What is a Town Planner?

Town planning looks a variety of aspects of developments. These include: strategic planning; understanding a community’s current and future needs; and governing new and existing developments.

A town planner assists and advises developers and landowners with their development ideas and plans. They will professionally develop strategies and reports based on their assessments of your proposed development. This will help ensure all local council regulations and policies are met.

Town planners aren’t limited to working with one type of development, rather they have a multitude of areas of expertise. From assisting with simple house extensions to large multistory project proposals – their role is multi-faceted.

Local councils have a set of rules and regulations on developments, called the Planning Scheme. When proposing a development, it must be in accordance with council and state legislation. Town planners are well educated on the legislation of small-and-large scale developments. They also work alongside local councils in accordance with the Planning Scheme.

Town planners can prepare or assess development applications. Once a proposal has been assessed, they coordinate an array of consultants for the development. This combination of architects, surveyors, civil engineers and landscape architects will then work in compliance with the Planning Scheme.

Overall, town planners guide and assess future development of expanding cities, towns and regions. They work in many areas including housing, land and property development, education, community projects, tourism and transport.

Why Do I Need A Town Planner?

If you are a landowner or developer with an idea or concept, town planners can look at the practicalities of your concept. They particularly advise you whether your proposed development meets regulatory standards in accordance with local council regulations.

Enlisting the service of a town planner to assist your proposed development plans, can hasten the development proposal process. They also ensure any issues meeting the councils Planning Scheme are quickly addressed and rectified.

Experienced and professional town planners can ease the burden of hidden costs and legalities involved in your development process.

More specifically, they can help you with the following processes:

  • Prepare the development application and submit all required documentation to the appropriate authorities
  • Give feedback on the design stage of your project and pre-empt any issues council may have with your proposal
  • Act as the single point of contact for all individuals involved in the project to minimize miscommunication
  • Provide assistance in an appeals court should your development face any legal issues.

Through these practical means, town planners bring your development plans to life.


What is a building set-out?

When preparing for any type of construction work, building set-outs are a critical step. This is because they help in process of transferring your building designs onto the land itself.

Implementing this step ensures that builders can follow the exact designs during the construction process.

The process of carrying out building set-outs involve land surveyors physically transferring key building markers onto the ground. These key markers include dimensions of positions of corners, centre lines of walls and boundary lines. After this transfer, you can be ensured that all construction is carried out according to the design plans. The process also assists all contractors onsite during the development.

Why are they important?

Building set-outs help land developers take precautionary measures before building. There are many other reasons building set-outs are important for land developers:

  • Building set-outs ensure construction is completed within legal boundary lines which can prevent potential costly and disruptive legal disputes.
  • The physical markers provide guidance for all onsite contractors to execute construction exactly to plan.
  • Any potential design flaws are quickly identified once physical markers have been laid out before construction commences.
  • Essential to accurate management of a construction team from small dwellings to major commercial building projects.

Where are building set-outs needed?

Building set-outs are a critical step to any design and construction process from small-scale projects to larger developments. They are warranted for numerous construction projects including the following:

  • Building new homes, apartments, townhouses and units
  • Residential and commercial building extensions and renovations
  • Development of warehouses and commercial buildings
  • Design and implementation of residential and commercial swimming pools
  • Large-scale town and land development projects
  • Town infrastructure projects

M.J. Reddie Surveys team of professionals accurately and expertly mark the building position onsite. We also provide building set-out plans to help all contractors onsite to ensure pinpoint accuracy during construction.

We work with both small or large-scale development projects. If you need a building set-out completed, contact our expert team of land surveyors at M.J. Reddie Surveys today.

Find out more by emailing or contact us on 03 9707 4117.

© Copyright - M.J. Reddie Surveyors - Licensed land surveyors, Berwick, Beaconsfield and Inverloch, Victoria